See It, Shoot It, Send It

KRXI FOX 11 Reno - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

RPD sergeant on desk duty following DUI arrest

RENO, Nev. -- The Reno Police Department has told News 4 one of their own is on restricted status after he was arrested for DUI Saturday night.

Bail was posted for 46-year-old Paul Sevcsik -- an RPD sergeant -- and he was released from Washoe County Jail following his arrest.

Because he belongs to the Reno Police Department, Sparks police made the arrest, although the incident occurred in Reno.

Sevcsik has been restricted to desk duty with no driving, use of firearms or authority to arrest until the case comes to a close.

Statement from the Reno Police Department on the arrest of sergeant Paul Sevcsik:

"The recent DUI arrest of an off-duty Reno Police Department sergeant is regrettable. The employee who was arrested has been placed on restricted duty status and will remain on restricted duty status until his criminal case is resolved. The employee involved will have the same restrictions, fines and fees that any other citizen who is charged with a DUI within Washoe County would incur.

Additionally the Reno Police Department has more requirements for its employees to accomplish prior to being released to full duty after their criminal case is settled. The following is from the RPD General Order which covers employees who have their drivers license suspended/revoked:

If the member lost their driving privilege as a result of any criminal act or arrest involving drugs or alcohol, the member must enroll in a treatment facility prior to requesting a temporary assignment.  Evidence of enrollment must be provided to the Department to be placed in an alternate duty status. Until a member provides evidence of enrollment, they will utilize their own personal leave banks.  If personal time off is not available for the member, they may request a non-paid leave of absence.

If the member lost their driving privilege as a result of any non-drug or alcohol incident(s), the member may request a temporary assignment immediately.  The Department may request proof that the member is actively pursuing reinstatement of their driving privileges (i.e. medical treatment, traffic safety school, etc.).

For non-medical suspensions or revocations of licenses or certificates of more than 90 days, or the permanent loss of the required license or certificate, the Department may begin proceedings to discharge the member as outlined in the Civil Service rules."