See It, Shoot It, Send It

KRXI FOX 11 Reno - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Oily rags and hot temperatures caused mobile home fire

SUN VALLEY, Nev. -- Fire officials said that spontaneous combustion is to blame for the residential fire in Sun Valley on Wednesday.

According to a press release, Truckee Meadows Fire officials said the blaze was accidental, and caused by spontaneous combustion of oil-soaked rags used for staining furniture. Officials said rags were left on the outdoor, wood deck and hot afternoon temperatures played a role in a chemical chain reaction.

Truckee Meadows Fire Chief Charlie Moore said oily rags are the summertime equivalent of fireplace ash in the winter.

The residents were able to get out safely, but parts of their home were damaged.